Horry Electric’s chapter of W.I.R.E. (Women Involved in Rural Electrification) is offering a $1500 scholarship to an eligible high school senior who plans on attending either Coastal Carolina University or Horry Georgetown Technical College in the Fall of 2013. The applicant must be the child or dependent of a member of Horry Electric Cooperative, Inc. in order to qualify.
The scholarship award is for one academic year for an entering freshman. $750 will be given for the fall semester. An additional $750 will be given for the spring semester, contingent upon meeting the GPR requirement.
Scholarship Criteria includes:
- Applicant must be the child or dependent of a member of Horry Electric Cooperative, Inc.
- Awards are for one academic year for an entering freshman. $750 will be given in the fall semester and an additional $750 will be given for the spring semester, contingent upon meeting the G.P.R. requirement.
- Scholarship recipient must have at least a cumulative 2.5 G.P.R. at the end of the first semester of college to receive the second semester scholarship. Copies of grades should be submitted to Susan Brown at the end of the first semester, when registering for the second semester.
- Loans and/or college work-study awards received in addition to this scholarship do not reduce its full value in any way.
- In accepting the scholarship, the student gives consent to the release of grades and other relevant information to the scholarship sponsor at the end of each semester.
- All applications must be received by Horry Electric’s WIRE Group by Friday, March 1, 2013.
- Applicants must be attending either Coastal Carolina University or Horry-Georgetown Technical College. Disbursement of these funds will be handled by CCU or HGTC as per their procedures.
- In the event there is no qualified recipient, the scholarship is suspended for that year.
- In the event the scholarship recipient recieves the first $750 for the fall semester and does not maintain G.P.R. and/or drops out of school, the balance of the scholarship is suspended for that applicant and for the remainder of the school year/spring semester.
- Financial need will be an important consideration in determining the winner.
Applications have been sent to high school guidance counselors at all high schools in Horry County and will be available for students when they return for classes in 2013. All applications should be mailed to Mrs. Susan Brown; Horry Electric Cooperative, Inc.; Post Office Box 119; Conway, South Carolina; 29528-0119.
Questions? Call 843.369.2211 or email Mrs. Susan Brown.