You might be surprised at the many kinds of co-ops around you. There are more than 29,000 co-ops in the United States with Americans holding 350 million co-op memberships.
- Majority of our country’s 2 million farmers are members of 3,000 farmer-owned cooperatives.
- More than 8,300 credit unions provide financial services to nearly 100 million members.
- More than 900 rural electric co-ops deliver electricity to more than 42 million people in 47 states.
- Approximately 233 million people are served by insurance companies owned by or closely affiliated with co-ops.
- Food co-ops have been innovators in unit pricing, consumer protection, organic and bulk foods and nutritional labeling.
- More than 50,000 families in the U.S. use cooperative day care centers., giving co-ops a crucial role in the care of our children.
- About 1.2 million rural Americans in 31 states are served by the 260 telephone cooperatives.
- More than 6,400 housing cooperatives exist in the U.S., providing 1.5 million homes.
To learn more about cooperatives, visit go.coop.