Take it one step at a time and remember that little changes can add up to big savings.
- Use your refrigerator’s anti-sweat feature only if necessary.
- Switch your refrigerator’s power-saver to ‘ON’, if available.
- Clean refrigerator coils annually. Set the refrigerator temperature to 34-37 degrees and the freezer temperature to 0-5 degrees.
- Ensure gaskets around door seal tightly.
- Unplug unused refrigerators or freezers.
- Use microwave for cooking when possible.
- When cooking on the range, use pot lids to help food cook faster.
- If you are heating water, use hot tap water instead of cold.
- Remember to use the kitchen exhaust fan when cooking and turn it off after cooking.
- Let hot food cool before storing it in the refrigerator.
- Rinse dirty dishes with cold water before putting them into the dishwasher.
- Use cold water for garbage disposal.
- Only run dishwasher when fully loaded.
- Use air-dry cycle instead of heat-dry cycle to dry dishes.
For more energy savings advice, download 101 Easy Ways to Save Money and Energy, visit TogetherWeSave.com and check out our comprehensive guide to energy savings on horryelectric.com, which includes a variety of energy information and tools.