Take it one step at a time and remember that little changes can add up to big savings.
- Set water heater temperature no higher than 120 degrees. For households with 1 or 2 members, a 115 degree setting may work fine.
- Install water heater wrap per manufacturer’s instructions.
- Drain 1 -2 gallons from bottom of water heater each year to reduce sediment build-up.
- Install heat traps on hot and cold water lines when it’s time to replace your water heater.
- Insulate exposed hot water lines.
- Limit shower length to 5-7 minutes.
- Install low-flow shower heads.
- Fix dripping faucets.
- Don’t let water run while you are shaving or brushing your teeth.
For more energy savings advice, download 101 Easy Ways to Save Money and Energy, visit TogetherWeSave.com and check out our comprehensive guide to energy savings on horryelectric.com, which includes a variety of energy information and tools.